Friday, January 13, 2023

Jaguars 2023

 How’s this for a full circle moment?  Back in 2015, I had a tumor pressing on my spinal cord in my neck that required emergency surgery. I remember going to my last jaguars game in 2014 in my dad’s company skybox. But a few weeks later my life changed forever. After seeing 2 different orthopedic surgeons who could find nothing wrong (I was falling all the time, had fractured my tailbone, was dragging my left foot) my mom parents luckily made me an appt at Mayo to see a neurologist they did an MRI and found a tumor immediately. I wrote in a previous blog how I was going to Mayo for my 6 week follow up hopefully to get my collar off, which was horrible. I was in my mom’s car and the song by American Authors “Best Day of my Life” came on, I knew in that moment that I was getting my collar off. But that was the least of my worries. I started having intense pain after the surgery, apparently my nerves weren’t functioning before but now were on high alert. Mayo prescribed oxycodiene for 10 months and I lost 50 lbs. when my parents finally intervened I was 74 lbs. I didn’t think I could handle Jaguars games due to length and uncomfortable chairs. I didn’t go to another game until 2018 when my dad asked me in treatment to go to games again. I tried it and it wasn’t too bad. I handled it pretty well and wasn’t in pain. But I had missed their good 2017 year when they made the AFC championships. 2018 they were horrible and they continued to be horrible. I didn’t really get the Jaguars bug again until 2020. I was in a relationship, my first in 10 years. And Covid hit so I was desperately looking for things to do to get out of the house. My boyfriend and I ended up going to 8 of the games from the 2020 season. In 2021, I went to all of the games using one of my dad’s tickets in the terrace suites. In 2022, I have been to all the games and how funny is it that we are getting a home playoff game where American Authors is doing the halftime. Full circle, truly! I love going to the games now, and will be sad when football season is over. 

No comments:

Post a Comment